Patients suffering from a blood pressure related problem should stay on top of their blood pressure numbers. How well you pay attention to your blood pressure number can determine how long you will stay alive.
If you are taking any kind of medication, it is important to record accurate blood pressure readings. Your doctor would have a difficult time knowing how medicine to give you if you don’t have good data.
Not keeping your blood pressure level data is a big mistake. It is estimated that 12.8 percent of all deaths around the world are due to blood pressure and related ailments. The Center for Disease Control reports that 1 in every 3 Americans has high blood pressure.
To get accurate data, you need an accurate blood pressure monitoring system that you can use at home. You can also go to a clinic and get checked using a stethoscope for measuring blood pressure.
There are many inexpensive and portable blood pressure monitors that you can use. Below is our selection of the best blood pressure monitors you can buy.
Types of High Blood Pressure Monitors
There are four types of blood pressure monitors, which are named based on the part of the body that they take pressure readings. The categories of the monitors are:
Most people prefer automatic digital blood pressure monitors because the devices can self-inflate. Some of the best digital blood pressure monitors can upload your data to a smartphone or the internet.
Digital blood pressure monitors have to be powered by electricity to work. Some of the devices use batteries while others have to be charged through A/C adapters.
The manual blood pressure monitors are also known as sphygmomanometers. These devices are very accurate when calibrated properly.
Generally, manual blood pressure monitors are cheaper than the digital ones. Moreover, like you would expect, you don’t need a power source to use the sphygmomanometers.
If you are looking for a discreet blood pressure monitor, you should go for the wrist type monitors. However, keep in mind that these monitors are the least accurate among the type of blood pressure monitors.
Upper Arm Style
Upper arm style blood pressure monitors are commonly used in hospitals and clinical settings because they are very accurate. However, if you are looking for a personal blood pressure monitor, you may want to go with a manual or digital one as the upper arm style devices can be quite bulky.
Guide to Buying a Blood Pressure Monitor
You may be reading this blood pressure monitor review because you want a device to use for yourself. If this is the case, there are a number of questions you should ask yourself before selecting a blood pressure monitor. The main questions to ask are:
i) How complicated is the blood pressure monitor?
If you are tech-savvy, you may prefer a blood pressure monitor that is compatible with smartphones. Alternatively, you may want a simple device.
Generally, blood pressure monitors with a lot of features tend to be complicated than those with only the primary features.
ii) What is the procedure for taking blood pressure readings?
With some type of blood pressure monitors, you will have to move your arm in certain ways to take the pressure readings. For example, you may have to move the hand towards your heart to get the readings from most wrist-style blood pressure monitors. Getting an accurate reading can be difficult if you are not consistent when measuring the pressure.
To avoid issues of inaccurate readings, consider getting a high blood pressure monitor that does not require any special movements.
iii) Will the cuff fit you?
Some upper arm style blood pressure monitors are not adjustable. These monitors would not be ideal for you if your arm is too small or too big for the cuff as you won’t be able to use them. For this reason, it is critical to check the size of the cuff of the monitor you wish to buy.
If you are buying a blood pressure monitor on Amazon, check its size information on the Amazon page. If you cannot find the size information on the page, check on the device’s manufacturer’s website.
Best Blood Pressure Monitors
If you would like to keep tabs with your blood pressure with an intuitive device that is accurate and easy to use, then this section is for you. Below are the top rated and best blood pressure monitors for self-recording this year.
1. Omron BP742N 5
The Omron BP742N 5 is an affordable upper arm blood pressure monitor. Made by a top brand, Omron, this device works fast and delivers accurate measurements. The features of the device are quite intuitive considering its low price.
- Excellent Fit. The home blood pressure monitor fits arms of various sizes. The monitor cuff fits anyone with an arm circumference of between 9 – 17 inches. The D-ring is not a standard blood pressure cuff. It is easy to use and anyone can get accurate blood pressure readings without requiring any assistance.
- Detect Irregular Heartbeats. The monitor will inform you in case you experience irregular heartbeat while checking your blood pressure.
- Healthy Bar. The Omron BP742N 5 has a blood pressure level bar where you can check your readings and compare them against the recommended healthy levels.
- Dual Settings. The device allows two users to store as many as 100 readings each on the same device at the same time.
- Automatic Averaging. The device takes three readings of your blood pressure over a 10-minute period and then automatically averages them. Therefore, you can be sure you are getting the correct reading of your blood pressure.
What Could Be Improved
Sometimes, the Omron blood pressure monitor has issues with accuracy. The issues usually arise if the device is not calibrated properly. Therefore, make sure you properly calibrate the blood pressure monitor before starting to use it.
Verdict: Recommended for Ease of Use
The Omron BP742N 5 blood pressure monitor is easy to use and tops the list of the best blood pressure monitors. The device is affordable for its multiple features.
We recommend this Omron model for anyone looking for an affordable and easy-to-use home blood pressure monitor.
2. Omron BP785N 10
The Omron BP785 N is another of the best blood pressure monitors for its accuracy, consistency, and array of features. The Omron Series 10 blood pressure monitor fits the upper arm properly and is easy to operate through its touchscreen display.
- Multiple Power Options. The blood pressure monitor can be powered by either batteries or an A/C adapter. The power is used efficiently and you can expect the batteries to last for more than a month even if you are using the device every day.
- Adequate Storage. The Omron blood pressure monitor can store up to 200 readings in its memory.
- Large Display. The blood pressure monitor has a large display that is easy to read. The display is back-lit, making it easy to read even during the day in bright light. There are also two indicators; green and orange; that will help you see whether you have a healthy reading.
- ComFit Correct Positioning. The blood pressure monitor is designed with ComFit technology that allows it to fit arms that measure 9-17 inches in circumference and inflate evenly. This accurate fit ensures that the device stays in the correct position.
- TruRead™ Accurate Readings. The Omron is designed with TruRead™ technology that enables it take three readings at a time. The three readings are then averaged to give you the most accurate reading of your blood pressure. You can turn the feature ON or OFF as you like.
- Great Value. The device is affordable but comes with excellent features that are usually found in more expensive blood pressure monitors.
What Could Be Improved
Like is the case with nearly all blood pressure monitors, the Omron BP785N 10 does not come with a lifetime warranty. When the device starts to fail after use, you will have to replace it if its warranty period has elapsed.
Verdict: Easy to Use and Full of Features
This Omron Series 10 blood pressure monitor is easy to use and comes with rich features. You will consistently get accurate readings with this device.
3. Omron BP652 7
If you would like a wristband style blood pressure monitor, the Omron BP652 7 is your best choice. This is a portable blood pressure monitor that is both accurate and discreet.
- Readings History. Your blood pressure readings are stored in the monitor’s memory for easy review later on.
- Ordinary Look. The monitor looks like an ordinary wristwatch, is portable, compact and lightweight.
- You will not hear any loud noises when the device inflates
- Automatic Inflation. The blood pressure monitor will inflate automatically to ensure you get accurate readings. To get your reading, you simply need to press a button for the wristband to inflate and check your blood pressure.
What Could Be Improved
The instructions for taking your blood pressure using this monitor could be better.
Verdict: Best Wrist Blood Pressure Monitor
There are various wrist-style blood pressure monitors on the market. From the devices available, there is no doubt that the BP652 7 is the best in the category. This blood pressure monitor is discreet, portable, compact and accurate.
4. Panasonic EW3109W
The Panasonic EW3109W is a simple digital blood pressure monitor that is easy to use. This device is perfect if you do not want to be bogged by multiple features but are only interested in a simple way of reading your blood pressure.
- Large Display. The blood pressure monitor has a large display that is easy to read. Therefore, it’s good for people with vision problems.
- Carrying Pouch. The device is sold with a carrying pouch, just in case you would like to carry it around.
- Reading Trends. You can see how your blood pressure has been fairing over time by checking the last 90 readings, which are saved on the device’s memory.
- One-Touch Operation. The device is easy to use. You only have to press a button to get your blood pressure reading.
What Could Be Improved
The device has a power charging port but is not sold with an A/C adapter. If you would like to plug it into an outlet, you would need to have a compatible A/C adapter like this one that goes for about $7.
Verdict: Most User-Friendly Digital Blood Pressure
The Panasonic EW3109W digital blood pressure monitor does not have most of the ‘razzmatazz’ features you would find in Omron BP785N and BP786N. However, it does its job remarkably well and offers great value for money.
5. Santamedical Adult Deluxe Aneroid Sphygmomanometer
Digital blood pressure monitors are portable and come with various intuitive features. However, if you simply want to take a blood pressure reading and don’t care about other features like reading trends and the like, you can go for the traditional aneroid sphygmomanometer.
The Santamedical SP-110 sphygmomanometer will always provide accurate readings if it is well-calibrated.
- This is the cheapest devices in our blood pressure monitor review
- Carrying Case. The device is sold with a discreet carrying case. You can take the manual blood pressure monitor anywhere you would like.
- No Batteries. This blood pressure monitoring device is not powered by electricity and hence does not require batteries or an A/C adapter
- Highly Rated. This is one of the best blood pressure monitors on Amazon based on customer reviews
What Could Be Improved
This manual blood pressure monitor only has the most basic features. The features found in digital devices are not available in the sphygmomanometer. Moreover, you the device has to be manually calibrated to provide accurate readings.
Verdict: Best Manual Blood Pressure Monitor
The Santamedical device is a good manual blood pressure monitor for anyone that does not want all the fancy features of a digital monitor. However, you have to know how to use it properly to get accurate readings.
6. Generation Guard
Another model that makes it on the list of the best wrist blood pressure monitor is the Generation Guard. This small device is easy to use, accurate, portable and has many great features.
- Easy to Use. To get your blood pressure reading, simply strap on the monitor, sit in the correct position, and then press the power button. You will get an accurate reading in 30 seconds.
- Reading Storage. You can store up to 90 readings on this blood pressure monitor. This is impressive for a cheap blood pressure monitor. Most monitors in its price range do not allow reading storage.
- Heartbeat Alerts. The monitor will alert you in case it detects irregular heartbeats
- Multiple Units. The device has both kPa and mmHG units. You can see your heart rate and blood pressure at the same time.
- Well-Fitting. The blood pressure monitor fits a variety of wrist sizes, ranging from 5-9 inches. The device inflates easily and is comfortable.
- Large Display. The display screen is large and easy to read. While the screen has no backlight, you will not have trouble seeing the readings.
What Could Be Improved
Like is the case with most cheap blood pressure models, the device can start producing inaccurate readings over time. Therefore, you should ensure your monitor is well calibrated and adjusted, if necessary, before taking a reading. Apart from this, you should position your arm correctly and follow the reading instructions to the latter.
Natural Ways to Lower Your Blood Pressure
Scientists have discovered various interesting ways anyone can use to lower blood pressure naturally. These naturally techniques are safe and can be easily done at any time. You can practice the techniques and keep recording your blood pressure over time to see how it’s affected.
Here are the natural ways of lowering blood pressure:
A report published in the Journal of the American Society of Hypertension indicates that engaging in aerobics dance therapy can significantly reduce the reliance on antihypertensive drugs required to control blood pressure.
- Hug someone
There may also be a link between physical affection and blood pressure. This is according to a study published in the Biological Psychology journal, which showed that women who hugged their husbands often had low blood pressure than those that who did not like physical contact.
The American Medical Association also reports that regular meditation, even just for a few minutes, can help to relieve stress and lower the risk of suffering from high blood pressure.
- Get some sun
Finally, studies carried out at the University of Edinburgh showed that people who were regularly exposed to the sun experienced low blood pressure. Therefore, you may want to go out of the house whoever the sun is up.
The above devices are the best blood pressure monitors on the market. We highly recommend the Omron BP652 7 for anyone looking for a digital blood pressure monitor that is accurate, durable, affordable, and has a wealth of features.