Pulse oximeters are used to measure the arterial blood oxygen saturation (SpO2) levels of a patient’s body. The devices are easy to operate and take a few seconds to determine a patient’s SpO2 levels. The best pulse oximeters for doctors emit a large spectrum of Infrared light into the patient’s body (usually through the ear lobe or index finger) and measure the oxygen level in the blood based on the reflections picked up by the sensors.
Here are some quick facts you should know about pulse oximeters:
- Generally, healthy adults have an oxygen saturation level of 95%. On the other hand, a saturation level of 92% is considered unhealthy. Patients whose oxygen saturation levels are below 90% need immediate medical help.
- Patients suffering from respiratory conditions such as chronic obstructive airway diseases (COAD), chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema, asthma, and others should monitor their SpO2 levels regularly. This is why it is also important for the patients to have a pulse oximeter for use at home.
- Some Samsung Galaxy smartphones, including the Samsung Note 4 or higher and Samsung Galaxy S5 or higher has in-built SpO2 sensor. If you have one of these smartphones, you may not need to buy an oximeter.
If you are looking for a new pulse oximeter, below are our top recommendations.
Best Pulse Oximeter for Doctors – Comparison Table
|SantaMedical SM-240 Finger Pulse Oximeter||Diagnostic Tool||1 Year||2 AAA Batteries|
|AccuMed CMS-50DL Finger Pulse Oximeter||Diagnostic Tool||1 Year||2 AAA Batteries|
|iHealth Fingertip Pulse Oximeter||Diagnostic Tool||1 Year||Through wireless Bluetooth connectivity|
|Acc U Rate 430-DL Pulse Oximeter||Diagnostic Tool||18 Months||2 AAA Batteries|
|Innovo Deluxe Fingertip Pulse Oximeter||Diagnostic Tool||1 Year||2 AAA Batteries|
Pulse Oximeter Reviews
The SantaMedical SM-240 is one of the best pulse oximeters for doctors as it is very efficient. The sturdy pulse oximeter is used by athletes, mountain climbers, bikers, and other outdoor enthusiasts
The ox is easy to use thanks to its one-button operation. Some of the features of this hospital grade oximeter include:
- Low power consumption. Can be powered for up to 30 straight hours of continuous use by its two AAA batteries.
- Has a bright LED color display that is easy to read
- Recommended for use by athletes and pilots
- Has a self-adjusting finger clamp
The SantaMedical pulse oximeter is convenient as it measures the pulse rate directly and displays the results on the screen. You will know your patient’s oxygen saturation level in an instant.
The AccuMed pulse oximeter comes bundled with a neck or wrist cord, which makes it portable. The oximeter is excellent for use not only by doctors but also pilots, athletes, and home users. To save power, the device automatically shuts if no activity is registered within 5 seconds.
The AccuMed oximeter is easy to operate and comfortable to use. Its features include:
- Sold with a 1-year warranty
- Powered by two AAA batteries and consumes low power (the battery life is 40 hours)
- Graphs the SpO2 levels on the bright color display screen
- Its ergonomic shape makes it comfortable to place the finger in
We love the AccuMed because it can be used both on children and adult patients. This versatile pulse oximeter can also be used by consumers at home.
This FDA-approved pulse oximeter also makes it on our list of the best pulse oximeter for doctors. The iHealth oximeter can check your SpO2 readings and transfer the data to your iPhone. You can, therefore, access your readings at any time or carry the data anywhere to share with your colleagues.
Notable features of the iHealth pulse oximeter include:
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Can store up to 200 readings
- One-touch automatic sync through Bluetooth
The iHealth oximeter provides fast and accurate blood oxygen saturation level results. You can also track and share your readings right from the display touch screen.
The pulse oximeter is good for home use as it can be used by both adults and children. Some of its features include:
- 18-months manufacturer’s warranty
- Uses two AAA batteries and consumes low power
- Has a large LED display
- The finger chamber has a smart spring system
This oximeter can be used both in hospital settings as well as at home to measure SpO2 levels of adults or children. The device comes with a carrying case.
The Innovo Deluxe oximeter will beep for each pulse if your oxygen levels are beyond normal. The clinically-tested device is recommended for nurses and doctors for producing accurate and reliable results
The features of the Innovo pulse oximeter include:
- Has an alarm that will notify you if your patient’s oxygen levels are beyond normal
- Has a multi-directional display (the screen can rotate in 6 different directions).
- Has an LED display that has adjustable brightness
- Gives accurate results with a perfusion index as well as a plethysmograph (visual representation of heartbeat)
You can easily operate the Innovo Deluxe pulse oximeter to measure perfusion of oxygen in blood, blood oxygen saturation, and heart rate. However, the device may not fit kids or adults with smaller fingers.
Editor’s Verdict: Which is the Best Pulse Oximeter for Doctors?
All the above pulse oximeters are hospital grade quality and provide excellent SpO2 measurements. We especially love the iHealth Fingertip Pulse oximeter as it can be used to take the blood oxygen saturation levels of both adults and kids.
Moreover, you can save the readings on iHealth cloud platform or on your smartphone to share with other medical professionals.